Summer Junior English Program at UCLA Summer Camp
The ELC Summer Junior Program at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) gives students the unique opportunity to live and study English on the fabulous campus of a world famous university. During July and August students at our Summer Program at UCLA will live in a UCLA dormitory. During the weekdays students will take English classes in the mornings and be able to choose one of three activity programs: our Classic Program, University Explorer Program or Film Explorer Program. On the weekends students will be able to participate in optional Saturday activities and an included full-day excursion on Sunday.
UCLA College Morning Courses Options:
- SEMI-INTENSIVE ENGLISH COURSE
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP COURSE
SEMI-INTENSIVE ENGLISH COURSE: Students studying in our Semi-Intensive English Course will learn the rules of grammar through communicative teaching methods. Through speaking and writing, students will improve their abilities and pronunciation, as well as practice listening to and understanding native speakers.
Levels: Beginner to Proficiency. Up to 12 Levels.
Lessons (per week): One 80-minute and two 60-minute lessons per day – Monday-Friday from 9am-12:40pm
- Past Perfect Review
- Introduction to Simple Future and Formation
- Time/Adverb Clauses in Future Sentences
- Future Progressive Formation
- Review Future Progressive, Present Progressive, Simple Future
- Review of Travel Vocabulary and Idioms
- Review Short Clips of Holidays; Discuss/Read About New Places to Visit
- Introduction of Debate Vocabulary and Debate Preparation
- Speaking About Favorite holidays
ELC offers high-intermediate and advanced junior students the option to join a two-week Entrepreneurship Course. In lieu of English language classes in the morning, high-intermediate and advanced students, have the option to join a content-based leadership and entrepreneurship course. During the afternoon, students will participate in one of the three afternoon activities offered at their campus including Classic, University Explorer, or a specialized explorer program. The available start dates for the Entrepreneurship Course will be July 1, July 8, July 15 and July 22. This course is offered exclusively to high-level students who no longer require daily instruction in English language skills. Students will take a placement test before they register to determine if they meet the level requirement to participate in this course.
- Levels:Intermediate to Advanced. Student must pass a pre-test to enroll.
- Lessons (per week):One 80-minute and two 60-minute lessons per day – Monday-Friday from 9am-12:40pm
- Start Date:Start dates every Saturday between July 1 – July 22. This is a two week maximum course. Students may take Semi-Intensive English Course before or after.
Additional Program Options
In the Classic Program, students will enjoy the diversity that each city offers through participating in a variety of cultural, sports, sightseeing, and shopping activities.
UNIVERSITY EXPLORER PROGRAM: University Explorers will take college preparation classes that cover the SAT and TOEFL tests. In addition, they will visit local universities where they will participate in tours and information sessions. They will also work on essay writing.
FILM EXPLORER PROGRAM: Do you think you have the creativity to be a Hollywood legend? Right in the heart of the world’s entertainment industry, Film Explorers will get a chance to study the art of ﬁlm, visit a selection of famous Hollywood and entertainment landmarks, and also be given the opportunity to collaborate on a ﬁlm project.
Activities and Excursions
International students participate in activities Monday-Friday after school. Afternoon activities are compulsory and are included in the Summer Junior Language Program package. Evening and Saturday activities are always optional and offered to all students.
Afternoon Activities Program: Students at UCLA may choose from up to three different Activities Programs for their afternoon activity at no additional cost.
- Baseball game (Los Angeles Dodgers), Dance party, Bowling, Talent show, Sports, Scavenger hunt, Shopping, Movie night
Saturday Activities: Students who do not wish to participate in Saturday optional activities can enjoy spending time with other ELC students and staff on and around campus.
Sunday Excursions: Required that all students participate in the full-day Sunday excursion.
2017 UCLA Weekend Excursions
- June 25: Beach Party
- July 02: Six Flags Amusement Park
- July 08: Disneyland (Saturday optional +$165)
- July 09: Universal Studios
- July 16: Beach Party
- July 22: Disneyland (Saturday optional +$165)
- July 23: Santa Barbara / Camarillo Outlets
- July 30: Six Flags Amusement Park
- August 6: Beach Party
- Shared occupancy
- Rooms are furnished with beds, desks, chairs, closets and telephone
- Communal bathrooms on each floor
- Linens and bath towels included
- Bathrooms and common areas cleaned daily
- Laundry facilities located in the dormitory (estimated $1.25 per wash, $1.25 per dry)
- Free wireless internet in each room
- Multiple computer labs on campus with free wi-fi
- Access to UCLA’s John Wooden Center and Sunset Canyon Recreation Center – featuring pools, basketball courts, and gymnasiums
- Outdoor tennis courts
- UCLA bookstore, libraries, and Ackerman Student Union Center with student lounge
Dates and Fees
- 18 meals per week (full-board Monday – Friday, half-board Saturday, breakfast only Sunday)
- Full-day Sunday excursions
Fees For Each Week
3 Weeks- $4905
Extra Week- $1550